Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Asians take pictures of everything True?

Do you always take picture whenever and wherever you are? Undeniably, we asians love to take pictures everywhere. Especially with the technology of camera and handphones, taking pictures is a must activity when we meet up friends, having a meal, travelling, uni, blah blah. Last week, I bought my camera to the Exeter Food festival, before starting our job, I gathered all volunteers to take a group picture (As seen from the previous post). I also invite my professor to join in the picture so that it will be a complete members of volunteering from the university. However, he rejected and said "that was an Asian thing, you guys take pictures of Everything!"
I was stoned for a bit and think about it. It is indeed true. I am the only one who brought a camera and excited to take picture. So, why Asians love to take pictures?

I do not know about Asians in general, personally I think is we want to show people what and how we are doing. With facebook and blogs are so frequently used, people take pictures and post them up to show what they had cooked, where they have gone, whom they met, what silly moments etc. My mom purposely open a facebook account because she wants to show me the pictures of Japan.

Besides showing the "things" that you have done, taking pictures can actually make yourself feel better. See in facebook, there are a lot of girls taking pictures of themselves. You know those "head-shot". Obviously, we know that some of them may undergo computer surgery, but the result mostly are good. As men are visual animal, young girls love to do that to attract boys and when they got attention, they feel better and also increase they self-esteem.

Talking about pictures, when I entered uni, most of my friends have a DSLR with them. I know Joel, David ad Okky are very passionate about photography but I also see some people just following the trend. I am not saying that the hobby is bad but is that what you love to do?
Or maybe you just want to look bit more professional? I used to think people with DSLR are people who really into photography and enjoy doing this as a hobby. They have the skills to taking the right angle, the correct lights, speed, contrast etc. Unfortunately, after what I have seen, I changed my mind. People just bought an DSLR because the quality of the picture is better. Some of them do not even know what is the real function of the camera. I personally think it is a waste of the product if the person do not know how to fully utilize it. Yes, you may argue that you can learn after you buy it. Totally agree, but you must have the passion and the determination to continue cuz I saw people just gave up photography just like that.

If you learn something, make sure you learn it right, learn it with passion :)

No comments: